Dodge Ram DJM Lowering Kit Installation
Usually when we do an installation article we actually have the truck here. It either belongs to an employee or a family member, or even a lucky customer. Unfortunately, the sweet subject of this install doesn't belong to a Stylin' Trucks employee or one of our customers. It's not even in Ohio, where Stylin' is located.
The truck belongs to DJM Suspension of Gardena, California and they decided to do the installation out in California, where it's sunny. But that didn't stop Stylin' Trucks from getting pictures. Nope, we had our photographer take one for the team and fly out to sunny California to cover the installation. What a hard job...
For this installation, the guys bolted on DJM's Dodge Ram lower control arm kit for the front and a set of steel lowering blocks for the rear. The front control arms (part number CA2392L2,) drop the truck by lowering the pocket that the coil spring sits in.
For the rear, the Dodge Ram SRT10's axle was already mounted on top of the leaf springs. So all it took to lower the rear was a simple spacer (the lowering block) to raise the axle (and lower the truck) another two inches.
By lowering the whole truck by two inches, you are lowering the center of gravity. This is going to greatly improve the handling characteristics of the Dodge Ram. The owner will experience better cornering and turning performance, less body lean/roll in corners, and an overall safer and more pleasurable ride.
As Stylin' Trucks reaches our 20th year in business it's good to look back on some good relationships that we've had. We've seen other truck retailers come and go, we've seen product manufacturers come and go. One relationship that has stood the test of time is with DJM Suspension in Gardena, California.
The folks over at DJM have long been friends of Stylin' and they manufacture some of the highest-quality lowered suspension components on the truck accessory market today. By developing and manufacturing each suspension component in-house, they control and keep tabs on every aspect of the process and keep quality very high. They have superior attention to detail, and their precision craftsmanship is second to none.
The installation was pretty basic, and don't let the fact that it was installed in an automotive shop bother you. All DJM lowering kits can be installed with regular hand tools that you should already have. So don't fret, anyone can do it. Check out the step by step pictures below.
(Click the pictures to expand.)
1. Before lowering the truck, it's a good idea to take measurements of the front and rear.
3. Of course, sometimes the U-bolts don't just slide right off and need to be cut.
5. The new U-bolts are then tightened on the driver's side.
7. The U-bolts are then tightened on the passenger side.
9. The shock is unbolted and removed.
11. The front outer tie-rod is unbolted.
13. ...and the front springs are removed.
15. The control arm bolts are slid out of their sockets and the control arms are removed.
17. The grease fittings must be screwed in at installation time.
19. The factory coil spring is then seated in the control arm pocket....
21. The factory shocks are then installed.
23. After mesuring the front, we see a healthy drop of two inches.
25. What was a hot-looking Ram is now twice as hot.
2. The installer starts by supporting the rear axle and loosening the U-bolts.
4. The two-inch lowering block is then installed between the axle and the leaf spring pack.
6. The lower spring plate is installed on the passenger side.
8. Now the installer moves on to the front of the vehicle.
10. The lower control arm bolts are now loosened.
12. Next, the spindle is moved out of the way...
14. Next, the control arm bolts are finally loosened all the way.
16. The factory control arm on the left with the DJM tubular control arm on the right..
18. The control arm is then held in place with the supplied hardware.
20. ...and the control arm is then lifted and bolted to the spindle.
22. The lift is lowered and the wheels are bolted back on.
24. The rear of the Dodge Ram also received two-inches of lowering.
27. Look at this beauty. It looks fast just sitting there!
Thanks to our helpful installers over at Pacific Muffler in Gardena, California.
Sign up for our e-mail newsletter to get exclusive coupons, deals, and announcements directly to your inbox.
DJM's Ram Control Arms
DJM Lowering Blocks
Dodge Ram Accessories
Back to Stylin' Trucks Articles page